In August and September, tomatoes are in their prime. The price of tomatoes are also at their lowest, so buy many, stock up, and make some Basic Tomato Sauce!
Tomatoes are naturally ripened on the vine, which produces a sweet flavourful tomato. Instead of using jars of tomato puree or canned tomatoes to make your basic tomato sauce, why not make a sauce using fresh tomatoes? This is very easy, using fresh, pureed tomatoes.
8-10 whole ripe tomatoes
1 finely diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
10 basil leaves
3 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt and pepper
- Quarter whole tomatoes and remove center core.
- In a food processor puree all tomatoes in batches and set aside in bowl.
- In a saucepan sautee onions in olive oil for 2 mins then add garlic and tomato puree.
- Add basil leaves, salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low for an hour, add more salt according to taste if needed.