Last summer I traveled to Europe and was inspired to make Turkish Eggplant and Beef.
I saw this dish prepared on a Turkish cooking show. The show was all spoken in Turkish, which I do not understand, but the chef was using some of my favourite ingredients. This dish is very inexpensive and always a crowd pleaser. Serve with rice and my Serbian salad.
For the beef:
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Lay sliced eggplant in a large sheet pan.
- Combine olive oil and garlic in bowl, mix and brush each eggplant slice with garlic oil.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt.
- Roast in 400 degree oven for 20-30 mins, or until eggplant is golden on top.
- When done, set eggplant aside and top with beef.
- To prepare the beef, sauté onion in oil for 10 minutes, then add beef and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add all spices and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add tomato paste and 1 cup of water.
- Continue to cook for 5 mins until some of the water cooks out. You want to have a thick consistency.
- Top beef evenly over eggplant and serve.
Have you ever cooked with eggplant? I encourage you to try! It is easy and delicious when prepared properly, especially in a Turkish Eggplant dish.